This past week has been one of those that you are just dreading when you look at your calendar! Between doctor appointments, swimming lessons, play dates, father’s day, and a yard sale, I am just exhausted and my patience is on the short side! (I know that none of you ever feel this way, but maybe you have heard of someone who has.)
I knew I needed to unwind when all I wanted was to be in a quiet room away from everyone for a few
years, I mean minutes. So, I started thinking about all the ways I like to truly unwind and I realized that there are only 5 activities (in my life) that truly help me unwind.
I am not one of those people who can just “veg” out in front of the television, shout out to my husband, and reading DOES NOT relax me at all, instead I get caught up in the book’s world and that comes with another whole group of problems.
So, what do I do to unwind?
- Exercise – I know kind of cliche, but just hear me out for a minute. I am by no means a exercise junkie,
but if you wog (walk/jog), like I do, long enough your brain cannot focus on anything else but surviving this appalling thing you are putting it through. And a bonus is when you are finished you can eat that ice cream sundae without as much guilt!!
- Painting my Nails – Guys this one might not be for you, but you could always do your toenails if you didn’t want anyone to know. I am not sure what it is about painting my nails, but it relaxes me. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I have to concentrate so hard so that my nails do not look like a toddler painted them.
- My Hobbies – My daughter is now 5 and can play on her own, so I can actually have HOBBIES again! YAY! I love puzzles, so much that it is very difficult to let my husband help because he moves my pieces around (at least my daughter gets bored after a couple minutes and goes and does something else). Puzzles allow me to focus on something that doesn’t matter. Who cares how long it takes me to finish? Its not like I am going to sell it when I finish. (But if you guys want to purchase a beautifully finished Beauty and the Beast puzzle just let me know!) I also like to cross stitch (ahh, the counting is so relaxing) and try out a few random Pinterest activities. Right now I am working on a PomPom rug for my daughters bedroom. All you have to do is count, cut, and tie! My brain appreciates something this remedial when it is stressed out, and I have something to show for the time I spent unwinding.
- Yard Work – Alright guys here is one you might appreciate! Working outside in the sunshine is sometimes just what the doctor ordered. I love cutting the grass (on my riding mower). The mind numbing sound of the blades and the instant gratification of seeing the grass cut as you drive over it, who could ask for more! Oh, I know the awesome tan you can get as you do it! This is a Win/Win and because I know my mother is reading this I would like to add “Always wear your sunscreen when you are going outside!” Love ya MOM!
- The Bible – I know some of you are saying, but you said reading does not relax you! Well that is true, when I am reading about a Vampire and his true love or Henry the VIII and his dozens of wives (not really dozens, but still there were a lot). The Bible always has something to redirect my thinking, maybe it would be better to say that it resets my priorities. I am able to realize what is really important and what might just be a trivial matter, like the fact that my yard sale was a bust and I spent way too much time making beautiful signs and tagging everything…. but I digress. Reading the Bible for me is the best way to unwind because after I am finished reading I don’t go right back to worrying/stressing about the small things in life.
I hope you find these Unwinding methods helpful! I would love to hear about your ways to Unwind after a stressful day or week or month. Leave a comment.