I hope you all enjoyed Part 1 of the 10 Brain Facts series. If you didn’t get a chance to read it click here and then be sure to come back to Part 2 for Facts 3-7!
So, let’s get started!
Fact #3 – The brain only weighs 3 pounds, but consumes 20% of the oxygen we breathe in! It also burns about 400 calories a day! Oh, and I checked… Thinking really hard DOES NOT burn more calories! Too bad, I would be super skinny!
Fact #4 – There are 4 lobes of the brain and each is responsible for different functions.
- Frontal Lobe – located at the front of the brain and is associated with reasoning, motor skills, higher level cognition, and expressive language. This lobe is critical for reading!
- Temporal Lobe – located on the bottom section of the brain. This lobe is the center for speech, language, and memory.
- Occipital Lobe – located at the back portion of the brain and is associated with interpreting visual information.
- Parietal Lobe – located in the middle section of the brain and is associated with processing sensory information such as pressure, touch, and pain.
Fact #5 – The brain can process 1,000 new bits of information a second!
Fact #6 – The brain relies on all 5 senses to process the world around us! So, the more of our senses we use in teaching the more information will be converted into memory.
- The eyes take in 100 million bits of information a second.
- The skin takes in 10 million bits of information a second.
- The ears take in 30 million bits of information a second.
- The nose and mouth (taste) take in the least amount of information and is sent to the same part of the brain.
Fact #7 – The brain can focus on 7 chunks of information at any one time. Hmm… Like our phone number!
Anyone recognize this number?
Fact #8 – The adult human brain has an approximately an 8 minute attention span. This means before you think about something else not pertaining to what you are focusing on. I think this number is decreasing due to technology, but that is a post (rant) for another time! 🙂
Check back soon for Brain Facts #9 & 10!